Monday, August 4, 2008

Maker Monday: Victrola Designs


I first took note of Victrola Designs by Victoria Corbett a few years ago. She and I both sell at a local Austin boutique dedicated to handmade items - Parts & Labour. Victoria's brightly silk-screened tees and totes were located on the shelf just below mine.

Any artist knows that her work sells better when it's next to other nice work - so it's always been a pleasure having such beautiful items near my own. I recently had a chat with Victoria about her business and what inspires her to create.







Victoria was trained as an artist in her native England, but the Indie Business Owner role didn't strike upon her until many years later. She says "honestly I should have just trusted my intuition and got to it sooner. I didn't learn a lot in art school, due to being so immature and insecure. Experiences in life are whats got me this far......."

I can so relate to that! As a student in College I majored in Costume Design - but most of what has gotten me thus far in business and art have been my life experiences - and the inspiration I find around me.








Victoria "loves Asian design more than anything, just the simplicity and uniqueness of the old wood block patterns from two or three centuries ago are genius." I think I'll have to ask her to go see the current Japanese wood block exhibit going on here in Austin at the Blanton Museum of Art!


Simplicity and great design aesthetic are what sets her work apart for me. She uses a lot of botanical motifs - often set off by their asymmetry and bold use of color.









Recently Victoria launched a new line of products - hand printed canvas custom made into bags she designed. I had the privilege of getting a sneak peak at one of her new bags, and was exceptionally designed and very well made. She is now offering them for sale in her Etsy shop - delicious!

Keep an eye on Victrola Designs by Victoria Corbett - she has set her sights on global success. She admires the work of Lotta Jansdotter of Scandanavia and Timorous Beasties of Scotland.


I'm glad to have such a talented artist in the mix here in Austin - a town she feels "is one of the few places at least in the united Sates where you have the opportunity to live in a pretty place, do what you want and still afford to live." I couldn't agree more.

For more about Victrola Designs:
Artist Portfolio
Etsy Shop
Blog

xo, Ambie
My Bags
My Production Company

0 comments: